In college, I had some experience
with presentation software and e-portfolios. These forms of assessment were
actually fun! I was able to do my own research as well as take what I had
learned from class and experience and create something that I could be proud to
show to my professors and fellow students. Now, in my masters courses, I am
using a blog to showcase what I am learning. Our students are fully capable of
using these tools and should be given the opportunity to do so. Learning should not be an
uninspiring, tedious process. We as educators are responsible for developing
life-long learners who enjoy the learning process. After all, our world is
changing so fast that our students must be able to keep up.
Formative assessment is a great way
for teachers to monitor learning and check for comprehension of content at
intervals. If a student is not grasping a concept, we msut intervene
to ensure mastery of knowledge and skills. Blogs are a great way to do this. A
teacher could require that students post a weekly blog about what they are
learning. The teacher could give certain criteria that must be met in the blog,
and the students could have the freedom to express what they have learned in
their own words. This type of formative assessment is appropriate for college students
all the way down to kindergarten (as I mentioned in my previous post).
Summative
assessment is critical in order to assess what content students have retained and their
overall gain from instruction and experiences. Collaborative wikis are a great
way to assess learning at the end of a unit. E-portfolios, such as the one I
created at the end of my college career, are a great way to assess learning at
the end of a semester or year.
I have attached some links that I found interesting in relation to this topic.
To view an example of an e-portfolio I created at the end of
my college career, go to this link
and type in this pass code: CB1531D8 Then click “Visitor
Pass Entry” and click “Beth Graham Professional Portfolio”. You can view each
section under “Table of Contents" to the left of the page.
Beth,
ReplyDeleteYou have given some great ideals for assessing students. The blogs are useful for gradually monitoring what students learn over a given period of time. It also helps student to be able to critique their writing before submitting. Students also should feel comfortable with blogs because it relates to open-ended questions rather than standardized questions. Students also have the ability to use blogs and wikis but we as teachers must include it in our instructional tools to help them become proficient at it. The e-portfolios are great tools for upperclassmen in secondary schools as well. It allows them to prepare their research, organizational skills, and writing for college.
I too created an e-portfolio in college. We used it has formative and summative assessments. Each week we read a chapter from our text and wrote reviews about. The professor checked our chapter reviews every week for assessment and questions and discussion. But the e-portfolio was also used as a summative assessment because we were able to go back and add to or make comments on things we had gone over or discussed, and it was also used professionally to express myself as an educator. Most people find it hard to constantly assess their students or to remember to do so. By giving students opportunities such as blogs or wikis, they are able to discuss what they how and have learned, and you are able to go back and check the work. It is readily available, easy to access, and you don't have to worry about taking home papers to grade or losing any of them.
ReplyDelete